POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Does anybody know this? : Re: Does anybody know this? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:13:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Does anybody know this?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Dec 2007 15:41:59
Message: <47531897$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 12:07:50 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I'd think that'd be true for pretty much any language, though - even
>> Ada.
>
> Actually, no. It has an explicit construct for catching interrupts by
> invoking a routine. (The routine would be in what Java calls a
> synchronized class.)  You specify the priority of the interrupt, and
> which interrupt it is, and all that.  I am not sure you can actually say
> what registers wind up in which arguments within the language, granted.
> :-)

See, to me, that's not much different than a function call - just a very
directly implemented function call. :-)

But probably closer to invoking, say, INT21 than you would do from C
using inline - though the generated code by the compiler would probably
be very close.

>> But I was thinking along the lines of what you said.
>
> Yeah, but that's still not actually C. That just happens to be knowing
> what your particular C compiler outputs for a program that has no
> semantics in C. It's really not C any more than inline assembler is. :-)

True; but I'm guessing you're talking at a level in the language/compiler
that I'm much less familiar with - in the end, you end up with machine
code no matter what you do, since that's all the machine actually
understands.

Jim