POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Auto-skipping in WinXP? : Re: Auto-skipping in WinXP? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:09:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Auto-skipping in WinXP?
From: John VanSickle
Date: 2 Dec 2007 15:29:38
Message: <475315b2$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> When it asks the first time if you want to clobber files with the same
>> name, and offers "Yes", "No", and "Yes to all", hold down the shift key
>> and click "No".  I think it's the shift key.
>
>   I thought Windows was supposed to be user-friendly?
>
>   In Linux obscure key combinations are usually at least *documented*
> somewhere.

MS seems to think that the appropriate place to handle files is from
within the applications that create them.  The ability to grab your data
at the file level appears to be something that MS doesn't want the
common user to be able to to at will.  Take, for instance, the way they
make it easy to put streaming video into a page, without giving you an
easy way to save that video to where you can find it whenever you want
it, so that you don't have to download it every time you want to view it.

The reason you have just the three choices is, I suspect, because the
MessageBoxEx() API call allows for only up to three buttons, and the
programmerswho wrote Windows Explorer were too lazy to whip up a dialog
box with the necessary number of buttons.

Regards,
John