POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov-Ray internal gamma handling : Re: Pov-Ray internal gamma handling Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:32:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov-Ray internal gamma handling
From: Christian Walther
Date: 2 Dec 2007 15:19:52
Message: <47531368@news.povray.org>
JetRacer wrote:
> But when you enter a color you enter a gamma 2.2 color

No. What makes you think that? You enter a linear (gamma 1.0) color.

> The quick and dirty workaround is to use assumed_gamma = 1.0

That's not a quick and dirty workaround, that's the correct solution.
See <http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/260/> ("For new
scenes, you should use an assumed gamma value of 1.0 as this models how
light appears in the real world more realistically.").

(I've never completely understood why this setting exists at all, given
that it only has one correct value (1.0), but that's another topic.)

See also <http://news.povray.org/439af61d%241%40news.povray.org> and the

  -Christian