16 Oct 2024 06:17:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Dec 2007 16:35:20
Message: <4751d398$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> If your God or Gods tells you to slay people, that's what you do. Go
>> read the Old Testament, where the Jews torched entire cities and
>> committed genocide at the bequest of JHVH.
>
>   It also says in another part that God said to someone to chop some wood
> to make a fire. Does this mean that everyone who believes the Bible must
> go and chop wood to make a fire? No, it just means that God said to someone
> to chop some wood for a fire, nothing more, nothing less. Creating a doctrine
> from this would be adding something to the Bible that isn't there, which is
> explicitly prohibited.

I'm not sure whether you're trying to disagree with me or not. My
statement was that "religion doesn't lead to good, it leads to
obedience". Your statement seems to be "what you're supposed to obey
isn't always clear."

If your religion is a justification for your actions, then picking out
only the parts of your religion that say to do good things is kind of
silly. If you do that, you've already made up your mind about what's
good, and you're using religion to justify it, which isn't any better or
worse than those doing bad and using religion to justify it.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it