POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Project Euler : Re: Project Euler metadiscussion Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:14:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Project Euler metadiscussion
From: scott
Date: 29 Nov 2007 07:14:26
Message: <474ead22$1@news.povray.org>
> A few of the problems admit an elegant mathematical solution. The thing
> with Pythagorean triples, or finding the sum of numbers or the number of
> combinations or something. Slightly more involve some actual maths
> somewhere. But most seem to just involve blindly searching as fast as
> possible. It's not very interesting, but I like seeing my score increase.
> :^)

Oh I think it is pretty interesting.  In real life you often need to get
results as quickly as possible.  Part of the skill is being able to decide
quickly whether it's better to spend 1 minute coding and waiting 10 minutes,
or spending 10 minutes doing some math and then only having to wait 1 second
for the answer.

And then another skill is being able to decide *what* to use to get the
answer (C++, Excel, Haskell, calculator, pencil etc).

There should be a timer that starts the moment you open the problem for the
first time, and that is stopped when you submit the correct answer.  Not
sure how you would stop people cheating though.