POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Project Euler : Re: Project Euler metadiscussion Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Project Euler metadiscussion
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 28 Nov 2007 23:06:10
Message: <474e3ab2$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Currently for each problem, you either get the answer right or you get
> it wrong. I think it would be nice if you could check intermediate parts
> of the calculation. (E.g., is 103 a prime number? Is 187 an abundant
> number? etc.)

	Well, for all but one of the problems I've worked on, the definitions
in the problem statements are fairly unambiguous.

	Besides, for things like those, you can use Google to get a list of
primes, abundant numbers, etc. But be "careful", sometimes a good Google
search will get you the very answer to the question being asked.

> On the other hand, I suppose they don't want to give too much data away,
> otherwise you could just "solve" the problem by asking the Project Euler
> website a sufficient number of questions. ;-)

	True - almost. If you submit too many answers in a short period of
time, the Web site blocks you for a while.

> I'd kinda like to make my own website like Project Euler. However, I had
> a look, and to get hosting that gives you server-side scripting and a
> database is 5x the price of what I'm currently paying. :-S I can't
> really afford that kind of money...

	The weakened Dollar may help you there.<G>

	What price are you talking about. You definitely can get it for under
$10/mo, and if your needs aren't too stringent, probably $5/mo is not
hard to find.

	The tricky part is making the problems interesting enough for people to
come. A number of problems on the Project Euler site *may* lead you into
some interesting number theory topics...

--
I considered atheism but there weren't enough holidays.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl