POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Almost head hunted : Almost head hunted Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  Almost head hunted
From: Rune
Date: 28 Nov 2007 17:51:44
Message: <474df100$1@news.povray.org>
A week ago I introduced myself in a Danish Internet forum dedicated to game
development. (Why I didn't do it long ago is somewhat of a mystery to me.) I
just wrote a little paragraph about myself, linked to selected projects on
my website and mentioned in passing that I planned to write my master thesis
about inverse kinematics in the Ogre rendering engine, and that I'd like to
collaborate with a game company on this but didn't know how to go about it.

Within 24 hours I got a very warm welcome, an encouragement from one company
to send an application for a job, an invitation to come visit another
company, and best of all, one company wrote me an email and showed great
interest in collaborating with me on my master thesis, precisely on the
subject of inverse kinematics.

The last part is the really interesting one. The company is behind an
advanced game authoring platform and engine called Unity that is to
spectacular 3D what Macromedia Director could have been if they had taken 3D
seriously. Really, check out their demos at http://unity3d.com and watch
impressive 3D graphics from right within your browser! (It requires a
plug-in, but it only takes a moment to install.)

The plan is that I implement inverse kinematics (and a walking system, I
hope) in their engine instead of in the open source Ogre engine. Since this
gives me a chance to get a foot in the industry, this is very exciting.
Besides that, making advanced technology that is very easy for others to use
is very attractive to me, which I couldn't have done to nearly the same
extend with Ogre.

I'm going to visit them at their offices in Copenhagen on Monday. It's a
four hour ride which they offered to pay first thing in the mail they wrote.
I've never thought of myself as very good at networking, so this sudden
interest is all very new. :D I hope it goes well.

Rune
--
http://runevision.com