POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Project Euler : Re: Project Euler Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Project Euler
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 27 Nov 2007 19:45:52
Message: <474cba40$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> (E.g., problem 1, I wrote something that loops over the numbers 1 to 100
> finding those that fit the divisibility requirements and summing them.
> Somebody else managed to produce a closed-form *formula* for the answer.
> Beat that!)

	Not particularly hard. You have a formula for the sum of all integers
from 1 to 100. And one for the sum of all multiples of 3 till 100. Ditto
for multiples of 5. Now just subtract the sum of all multiples of 15.

> The few Haskell solutions I've seen look unecessarily wordy - like they
> were written by somebody just learning Haskell. But then, the Haskell
> Wiki has a section devoted to Project Euler, and most solutions there
> look rather childish and unperformant too, so...

	I do stuff in Python. Even though some manage to solve whole problems
with one line solutions, it is generally frowned upon in the Python
community if it gets challenging to read: They generally perform about
the same as more readable code.

	So perhaps those Haskell users were converts from Python...

--
Diplomacy - the art of letting someone have your way.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl