POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Project Euler : Re: Project Euler Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:14:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Project Euler
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 27 Nov 2007 13:25:23
Message: <474c6113$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> "Tim Attwood" <tim### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
>> According to the statistics page on Project Euler there's about
>> three times as many people using C/C++ as Haskell, and about
>> twice as many using Python as Haskell.
>
> OTOH, most C++ solutions I've seen in the forum are the trivial, straightforward
> loopy and slow performant solutions, using pretty much the same obvious
> algorithm.  Many Haskell solutions came up with amazingly concise and creative
> algorithms.
>
> but I was really impressed with the assembly and math solutions...

Math solutions FTW!

(E.g., problem 1, I wrote something that loops over the numbers 1 to 100
finding those that fit the divisibility requirements and summing them.
Somebody else managed to produce a closed-form *formula* for the answer.
Beat that!)

The few Haskell solutions I've seen look unecessarily wordy - like they
were written by somebody just learning Haskell. But then, the Haskell
Wiki has a section devoted to Project Euler, and most solutions there
look rather childish and unperformant too, so...