POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : stop the ride - : Re: stop the ride - Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stop the ride -
From: John VanSickle
Date: 24 Nov 2007 23:33:38
Message: <4748fb22$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>> especially taking into account how many years it takes
>> to build a civilization which can support itself.
>
> I suspect you'd mostly have to replace the government with something
> that respected basic property rights before pouring money in would help
> anything. If you're going to kick out successful farmers and hand the
> land over to cronies who don't know how to manage it, you're going to
> have famines regardless of how much cash gets dumped into the economy.

And if you institute honest government, the charity quickly becomes
unnecessary.

The only reason the West got an economic leap on the rest of the world
is because our forebears reduced the crookedness of the government by a
sufficient degree to free up wealth for capital formation.  In much of
the world the situation is that as soon as you have two pennies to rub
together, someone from the government takes one of them (if not both).

Regards,
John