POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Converting to usable 16 bit height-fields : Re: Converting to usable 16 bit height-fields Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:21:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Converting to usable 16 bit height-fields
From: Leroy
Date: 24 Nov 2007 20:37:03
Message: <4748D186.9050908@joplin.com>
First, It's nice to have a new POVer. Welcome!! :)

Next, Alain's right in his description of how POV uses 16 bits of an
image to make a height field.

I don't know about 'image magick'.
I had look for the longest tine to find software that make a 16 bit from
a 256 color image. I don't remember how many I've loaded then deleted
because they didn't work. So I wrote my own height field maker and
converter. You can try my 'Mapper Fix' program at
(http://leroywhetstone.s5.com/)

The main trouble with any image converter use for height fields is
noise. That is the converter takes the color of a pixel as the height of
a location instead of using the index value.