POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : stop the ride - : Re: stop the ride - Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stop the ride -
From: somebody
Date: 24 Nov 2007 12:10:18
Message: <47485afa$1@news.povray.org>
"alphaQuad" <alp### [at] earthlinknet> wrote

[...]
> At the upper range of those estimates, the $611 billion cost of the war
could
> have fed and educated the world's poor for seven years

There's cost and there's cost, unfortunately. When US goverment pays an
American arms manufactured $1000 to buy a weapon, most of that money is
infused back into the US economy in form of profits and wages, the real cost
is only that of consumables. When US gives $1000 to a third world country,
practically all of it is lost to her. It's not fair to compare such costs.
Also, what-if scenarios can ultimately be meaningless. What if we made every
table leg 0.5mm shorter and thinner, wouldn't that save hectares of forests?
We could also on paper feed the starving peoples if all of us ate half a
slice less bread in a week...etc...etc