POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : bluray and pixar : Re: bluray and pixar Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:22:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bluray and pixar
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Nov 2007 06:50:13
Message: <47456cf5@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> That's interesting. I was in some shop the other day, and they had a
>> huge LCD with "HD Ready" splashed all over it, and huge cardboard
>> signs saying "WOW! LOOK AT THE DIFFERENCE!" And I remember thinking
>> "...I can't see any difference."
>
> They were probably feeding in some crappy HD or worse even SD
> material... NExt time take along a copy of the pixar shorts on blu-ray
> and ask them to play that on a 1080p TV.  It will knock you out!

They were running National Geographic HD. (Doesn't mean they had an HD
decoder of course...) Lots of long short of mountains, jungles, big
savanas and stuff that's clearly meant to make you go "wow". It honestly
didn't look much different to what I get on my 7 year old TV at home.

They also had a huge widescreen round the corner playing Star Wars III.
(It is unclear whether or not that was meant to be HD.) It was
unimpressive. In so many ways... ;-)

>> I mean, let's face it, HD is only 4x the imagine resolution.
>
> "only".  What resolution do run your desktop in?  Now imagine dividing
> that by 4.  It wouldn't be pretty...

As far as I know, a normal TV operates at something like 300x200 or so.
That means that 4x would only be 600x400 - still extremely low.

(I remember I once plugged my laptop into the TV because we didn't own a
DVD player. The Windows desktop was... unreadable. Literally, you just
couldn't read *any* of the writing! But then, I guess usually you sit 12
feet from your TV screen, so they're not going to bother making it able
to display tiny writing like that...)

> You mean getting one of these:
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-HD-E1-High-Definition-Player/dp/B000I7IHHI
>
> and one of these:
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-37LF66-Widescreen-1080P-Freeview/dp/B000TLW0TE

I think we've established that the shop was overpriced. ;-)