POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's Word again : Re: It's Word again Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:18:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It's Word again
From: John VanSickle
Date: 21 Nov 2007 10:45:06
Message: <47445282@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> This probably isn't news to you, but... numbered lists seem to be
> spectacularly broken in Word 2003.
>
> I mean, sure, they were always a little quirky in Word 97. But now I've
> upgraded to Word 2003, it seems just downright *broken*. I've got a
> couple of pages, each one with a numbered list on it. And I point-blank
> *cannot* make each such list start counting from 1.
>
> I can make *some* of them count from 1, but then that makes the others
> reset to start counting from where it left off. Or, sometimes, makes
> them start counting from some seemingly arbitrary number like 138.
>
> What in the name of God...?
>
> Seriously, is this behaviour "normal" for Word now?

I am teaching Word to my ninth-grade computer literacy class, and
several students have noticed this.

I haven't yet figured out a consistent way to get Word to start the
numbering exactly where you want it.  Our problems have popped up in
tables; for some odd reason, at certain times the second row of a table
picks up the numbering from the second row of the table in the previous
page.  WTF?

There is an option to restart numbering if you select Format->Bullets
and Lists from the menu; it will be applied to the selected text (unless
Word is even buggier than previously known).

The other thing to do is to work from the end of the document upwards,
selecting sections to be numbered and going up from there.

You also might want to switch to Outline view; in there, put the
numbered sections at a given outline level, and make sure that each
section is preceded by an empty line at a higher outline level.

Hope this helps,
John