POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : gathering infos from web pages : Re: gathering infos from web pages Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: gathering infos from web pages
From: Fa3ien
Date: 21 Nov 2007 10:23:46
Message: <47444d82$1@news.povray.org>

> Fa3ien wrote:
>
>>> Obviously I recommend Haskell for this task - and, obviously, you're
>>> going to say no. ;-)
>>
>> How did you guess ?
>
> Mmm, because everybody hates Haskell? ;-)

Fears, not hate.  Personally, whenever you post Haskell code, I'm pretty
admirative of the powerfulness of what you say it does with such concise
code.  But I am also scared by the fact that I don't understand a bit
about how what it does relates to what the code looks like.

Since my first message (about 1:30 ago), I tried Ruby.  After 20 minutes
of an online hands-on tutorial (http://tryruby.hobix.com/), 5 minutes
checking for "ruby http library", and 5 minutes installing a Ruby
interpreter for Windows, I've been delighted to see that this line of code,
build with my thin newly acquired knowledge :

print Net::HTTP.get(URI.parse("http://www.google.be"))

produced exactly what I expected it to do ! (putting the content
of a web page in a string)

Ruby is a gem !

Fabien.