POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More poor planning : Re: More poor planning Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:16:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More poor planning
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Nov 2007 09:53:07
Message: <4742f4d3$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> (Today I'm writing an unecessarily long and complex plan document
>> describing in absurd detail how we're going to test a trivial 2-page
>> Haskell program. I really wish to God I was working somewhere else right
>> now!)
>
> You can generally shorten test scripts by using a spreadsheet or a table with a
> layout that details:
> Test Step |Test action & Instruction(s) | Field/Variable data / input | Expected
> Results | Output | Passed/Failed
>
> Of course you modify the script to suit the tests.

Well, let's put it this way: The plan is 17 pages long, and I haven't
even said what the tests are yet! o_O

Basically there's a standard template for writing test plans. It's
designed for huge complex systems, and the thing I'm testing is tiny. So
I've already spend ages deleting all the stuff that's not applicable.
And it's *still* 17 pages of whaffle.

(This is who we are, this is what the software is, this is were it's
going to be used, this is who is going to use it, this is who will test
it, this is what the software is for, this is what we do currently, this
is why software testing is necessary, this is what the tests attempt to
demonstrate, this is all the things the testing won't cover, this is
what we'll do if any tests fail, this is what we'll do if we ever alter
the software, this is the list of documents that will be produced during
the test process, etc.)

Believe it or not, that bundle I just wrote there? It's incomplete. (!)