POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question of pure mathematics : Re: A question of pure mathematics Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:16:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question of pure mathematics
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Nov 2007 06:48:14
Message: <4742c97e$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

>> OK, I rephrase: It looks pretty exotic to me. ;-)
>
> It's much better than RGB for two reasons.
>
> 1) The Y matches the high resolution bit of your eye, and the CbCr bits
> match the lower resolution color detector bits of your eye.  Thus they
> can be compressed different amounts.
>
> 2) Equal distances in the CbCr space give a roughly equal difference in
> colour perception.
>
> If you tried to compress RGB channels separately the same amount as a
> YCbCr signal it would look much worse.

Yes, I'm sure this is exactly why they use it. Still, it's not very easy
to comprehend...

(Similarly, almost all known audio codecs don't compress the left and
right stereo channels seperately; they compress "center and side"
instead, since usually the side channel will contain very much less
signal energy - and getting it wrong is far less serious sonically.)

PS. Is this why all MPEG-based algorithms utterly mutilate blue images?