POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question of pure mathematics : Re: A question of pure mathematics Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question of pure mathematics
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Nov 2007 06:09:39
Message: <4742c073$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> The Dirac delta doesn't interest me - my signals won't ever contain
>> infinity.
>
> Ok, well if you are dealing with discrete digital functions then the
> concept of a function having "zero area" doesn't really make any sense,
> so yes, any function can be made from a series of sine and cosines.

...and hopefully some other functions too? :-)

>>> Have you read:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavelet
>>
>> I have. Multiple times. I still don't understand.
>
> Did you check out some of the links at the bottom?  I just read this one
> and it was ok to understand:
>
> http://users.rowan.edu/~polikar/WAVELETS/WTtutorial.html

I read that back in 1997. (Yes, that's how old it is.) I had trouble
understanding it back then, and having reread it a few times since then,
I still have trouble comprehending it.

I think essentially wavelets are just too complicated to understand. So
I'll stick with my original approach...