POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question of pure mathematics : Re: A question of pure mathematics Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question of pure mathematics
From: scott
Date: 20 Nov 2007 06:05:22
Message: <4742bf72@news.povray.org>
>> A function that is 0 everywhere except for f(0)=1 is not a delta
>> funciton. A delta function has f(0)=infinity and when integrated it gives
>> a non-zero value (ie it has area, unlike the function Kevin described).
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronecker_delta
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_delta_function
>
> So you see, we are in fact both right, for a suitable definition of "delta
> function". (I'm going by a DSP textbook.)
>
> The Dirac delta doesn't interest me - my signals won't ever contain
> infinity.

Ok, well if you are dealing with discrete digital functions then the concept
of a function having "zero area" doesn't really make any sense, so yes, any
function can be made from a series of sine and cosines.

>> Have you read:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavelet
>
> I have. Multiple times. I still don't understand.

Did you check out some of the links at the bottom?  I just read this one and
it was ok to understand:

http://users.rowan.edu/~polikar/WAVELETS/WTtutorial.html