POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question of pure mathematics : Re: A question of pure mathematics Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:22:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question of pure mathematics
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Nov 2007 05:01:12
Message: <4742b068$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>>> This isn't quite true over the reals, even assuming you're only
>>> looking for functions with a given period.  For example the function
>>> which is zero everywhere except being 1 at a single point will
>>> generate the same Fourier representation as the constant zero
>>> function since it will have the same integrals.
>>
>> O RLY?
>>
>> My DSP textbook says the Fourier transform of the delta function
>> yields an amplitude of 1 for all frequencies. (Whereas the Fourier
>> transform of a zero signal would be a zero signal.)
>
> A function that is 0 everywhere except for f(0)=1 is not a delta
> funciton. A delta function has f(0)=infinity and when integrated it
> gives a non-zero value (ie it has area, unlike the function Kevin
> described).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronecker_delta
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_delta_function

So you see, we are in fact both right, for a suitable definition of
"delta function". (I'm going by a DSP textbook.)

The Dirac delta doesn't interest me - my signals won't ever contain
infinity.

> Have you read:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavelet

I have. Multiple times. I still don't understand.