POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Guess the algorithm : Re: Guess the algorithm Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Guess the algorithm
From: Alain
Date: 19 Nov 2007 22:16:22
Message: <47425186$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/19 13:17:
> Alain wrote:
>
>> Most large chambers are the intersection of several conduits. When
>> over 5 twisting tubes intersect, you loose the apearance of tubes. On
>> ocasions, I saw some bits of "floating" objects in those large chambers.
>> Some passages are actualy made of 2 or more almost parallel tubes, and
>> some of those may be flattened.
>
> Mmm, seems plausible. You'd have to have some fairly high-order
> smoothing to blur out the details though. Also, are the tunnels entirely
> random? Do they all run more or less parallel with perturbed paths? Are
> the statistics random or carefully tuned?
>
> Time to experiement, I think... ;-)
There are tunels that seems perpendicular to the one you travel, but most
intersect at a sharp angle.
Possibility: generate the main tunel.
Randomly generate a cluster of points around it's path, in a radius about twice
the radius.
For each point, select a random direction and curvature. Possibly add some
radius variance.

At times, you bet filled whireframe, and the mesh resolution is fairly low at
"high" quality. If you deselect "Disable hair effect", you get small sticks at
the triangles angles that seems to corespond to the normals.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you've gained twenty pounds