12 Oct 2024 07:14:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Warp
Date: 19 Nov 2007 09:55:31
Message: <4741a3e3@news.povray.org>
Vincent Le Chevalier <gal### [at] libertyallsurfspamfr> wrote:
> It was specifically about how *scientists* are arrogant, and how they
> have no justification mocking others and specifically about evolution
> theory.

  No, what I said was that some scientists (not all) have an arrogant
attitude and seem to know the truth, and they act all like the theory
of evolution was an axiom.

> >   Have scientists learnt anything from this episode? It doesn't seem so.
> > They are still arrogant, they still think they know the Truth, the only
> > Truth and nothing but the Truth, and simply because they can't think of
> > any other explanation. They think they can go back millions of years and
> > see what happened, and thus their theory must the the only Truth, and
> > anyone who doubts it is nuts and deserves ridicule. Over a hundred years
> > ago scientists assumed that they could simply deduce what happens at
> > atomic levels, extremely high speeds, etc, without actually "going there".
> > They were wrong. Nowadays scientists assume that they can simply deduce what
> > happened millions of years ago, without actually going there. But this must
> > be the Truth.

> (to me this last part implies pretty strongly things about evolution theory)

  I'm not saying anything about the veracity of the evolution theory there.
The only thing I'm talking about is the attitude of people.

> >  History tends to repeat itself. People never learn from past mistakes.
> > People are arrogant and think they are omniscient and that they know the
> > Truth. Anyone who doubts that deserves ridicule.

> In fact I missed that last slip from "scientists" to "people" :-)

> To me this reads pretty much as "scientists in general are arrogant" and
> "evolution theory is not better than any other". So I still consider you
> brought evolution theory, and the justifications behind scientific
> theories, in the debate yourself. And I still think it is insultive to
> the majority of scientists.

  But I was really just talking about the attitude of many people (especially
when they deal with the evolution theory), not really evolution theory in
itself.

> This is where you got strong opposition. Or am I reading things that are
> not there?

  People opposed my view on this attitude problem I'm seeing, and that's
fine. But it's quite separate from the opposition to my opinion that people
should not be made fun of. That was a different claim with its own replies.

--
                                                          - Warp