12 Oct 2024 07:11:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 19 Nov 2007 04:52:52
Message: <47415cf4$1@news.povray.org>
The thing is you forget your post <473d6557@news.povray.org> that
started the whole subthread, and that is not just about how it's bad to
make fun of other people.

It was specifically about how *scientists* are arrogant, and how they
have no justification mocking others and specifically about evolution
theory.

To quote:

>   Have scientists learnt anything from this episode? It doesn't seem so.
> They are still arrogant, they still think they know the Truth, the only
> Truth and nothing but the Truth, and simply because they can't think of
> any other explanation. They think they can go back millions of years and
> see what happened, and thus their theory must the the only Truth, and
> anyone who doubts it is nuts and deserves ridicule. Over a hundred years
> ago scientists assumed that they could simply deduce what happens at
> atomic levels, extremely high speeds, etc, without actually "going there".
> They were wrong. Nowadays scientists assume that they can simply deduce what
> happened millions of years ago, without actually going there. But this must
> be the Truth.

(to me this last part implies pretty strongly things about evolution theory)

>  History tends to repeat itself. People never learn from past mistakes.
> People are arrogant and think they are omniscient and that they know the
> Truth. Anyone who doubts that deserves ridicule.

In fact I missed that last slip from "scientists" to "people" :-)

To me this reads pretty much as "scientists in general are arrogant" and
"evolution theory is not better than any other". So I still consider you
brought evolution theory, and the justifications behind scientific
theories, in the debate yourself. And I still think it is insultive to
the majority of scientists.

This is where you got strong opposition. Or am I reading things that are
not there?

--
Vincent