POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : How to attract developers ? : Re: How to attract developers ? Server Time
9 May 2024 15:35:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to attract developers ?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 16 Nov 2007 15:29:28
Message: <473dfda8$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 15:23:45 -0500, Chambers wrote:

> so there's nothing stopping
> them from seeing it except for snobbishness on their part

It isn't always necessarilly snobbishness - it's wanting to protect
themselves from being accused of introducing non-GPL'ed code into GPL'ed
products.

For example, I know a few Linux kernel developers (not well, mind you,
but I've talked about a few things with them) and they won't even look at
the VMware networking drivers (for vmnet and vmmon) because the code is
not GPL.  If they created something that behaved somewhat similar in some
way to either of these modules, they could be accused of injecting code
not released under the GPL into the kernel.

Which is kinda what SCO was going on about, BTW - so it's not like it's a
theoretical threat; false accusations cost time and money to refute as
well, after all.

Jim