POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The nebulous question of probability : Re: The nebulous question of probability Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The nebulous question of probability
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Nov 2007 14:49:23
Message: <473df443$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> Depends where you live. Apparently in the USA the chance of being killed
> by lightning is only 1 in 700,000. That's actually quite a *high*
> probability. o_O

Exactly. Far far larger than 2^-128.

> Apparently the changes of winning the National Lottery

Funny enough, I saw where someone had looked up the death statistics,
and figured out you had a 2000x better chance of being killed between
the time you bought your lottery ticket and the time the big winner was
announced than the chance of you actually being the big winner.

> Yeah, I'm fairly sure it's quite a low probability too. I'd just like to
> be able to put an objective figure to it. ;-)

If you could give a reliable objective number, you'd know enough of how
it works to calculate it without going thru the actual math.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we