11 Oct 2024 17:46:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Warp
Date: 16 Nov 2007 14:37:22
Message: <473df172@news.povray.org>
> Do you doubt that the fundamentalists think you're crazy and deserve
> scorn if you don't believe what they do?

  Why should I care about what some fundamentalists think? I was not
talking about fundamentalists. And if they think like that, why should
I care about that either?

> >   Or are you trying to say that since creationists ridicule scientists
> > it then becomes ok for scientists to ridicule creationists? That's
> > flawed logic.

> No, the creationists deserve ridicule because they have crazy fixations
> with no support. They deserve ridicule just as we ridicule people who
> believe we've never gone to the moon, people who believe the earth is
> flat, and people who believe that Zeus makes lightning.

  And that's exactly the idea I'm not comfortable with: That it's ok to
make fun of people if they are obviously wrong.

  That's an attitude which may be fit for small children, but IMO it's not
an attitude fit to civilized adults.

  Mocking and loathing is not constructive. It only makes animosities
stronger.

> >> Debunking has been done and redone and re-re-done, at some stage it
> >> needs to stop.
> >
> >   So the next logical step is to start mocking and ridiculing? Yes, that
> > makes a whole lot of sense.

> Indeed it does.

  I disagree. The world is not getting any better with disrespect, mocking,
ridicule and loathing. It's only making things worse.

> >   Valid for what purpose? It certainly isn't constructive and can only
> > make things worse.

> In what way?

  In that it only deepens the animosity between the groups.

> You're not going to change the mind of the religious
> person.

  So let's make things even worse and make him hate you?

--
                                                          - Warp