11 Oct 2024 15:18:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Nov 2007 13:37:58
Message: <473de386@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   There's a difference between an attitude like "I think this is a very
> plausible theory, and I'm going to try to find even more evidence to
> support it", and "this theory is the truth, and anyone who doubts it
> is nuts and deserves ridicule".

Scientists don't say that second thing. They say "you're theory is nuts
and deserves ridicule, as does anyone who believes it."

The first step of trying to put forward a scientific theory is to
explain at least one actual fact.

I don't know of *any* actual fact that creationism explains.

>   However, debunking and ridicule are two different things. The former
> shows scientifical thinking, the latter shows arrogance.

I disagree. Debunking only works on the rational. Ridicule stirs up the
emotions enough that the misled feel a need to interact.

>   Another typical attitude is that anyone who presents even the slightest
> opposition to the idea that evolution is the whole Truth, that the evolution
> theory presents exactly and accurately what happened, must be a creationist.

I've noticed that. I'm told it's something the creationists brought on
themselves. Since creationism isn't an actual theory that explains any
actual facts, the "theory" of creationism is "evolution isn't the right
theory." So if you doubt evolution, you're likely a creationist, at
least in the eyes of people who know what's going on.

> The attitude seems to be "if you can't present any counter-arguments or
> scientifically plausible alternative theories, then you simply must believe
> in the theory of evolution as presented". It's as if it was completely
> unscientifical and illogical to doubt a theory if there exists no plausible
> alternative.

If there's no plausible alternative and nothing difficult to explain
with the theory in hand, then it is pretty illogical and unscientific to
doubt it.  On what scientific or logical grounds do you doubt that
evolution is significantly correct, given that it's actually used
regularly all around the world to create important products? It's not
hard to understand in broad outline. It's not hard to understand
detailed evidence when presented well. The only reason to doubt it's
right is "I don't like what it implies", which is illogical and
unscientific.

That doesn't mean it's *wrong* to do so. Just ... illogical and
unscientific. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we