POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More poor planning : Re: More poor planning Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More poor planning
From: Invisible
Date: 16 Nov 2007 09:18:57
Message: <473da6d1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> 5. This just in - HQ have proposed a new, standardised company-wide
> computer naming scheme.
>
> They want to name each computer according to where it is in the building.

roflcakes!

I just had the most amusing conversation with the head of IT...

I tried to explain to him that renaming a PC is an expensive operation
and something that should be avoided at all costs. Some of his responses
were really quite amusing.

"My *God* - you have a log book for *every* PC on your network?? What on
earth is the *point* of that?!?"

I manage to avoid exclaiming "...and you *don't*?"

For anybody who doesn't work in this kind of righly-regulated
environment: Being able to provide an audit trail of *exactly* what has
happened to a particular computer system is an elementery requirement of
the industry regulations. (In particular, the same requirements also
apply in the USA.) The fact that the company head of IT didn't know that
is... disturbing.

"Wow, that's *insane*! You can't do that...! OK, I'm gonna have to get
that fixed."

Ahem. Good luck with that one honey. I think the auditors might have a
little bit to say about the matter. ;-)

Seriously. The very idea that we would actually *record* an audit trail
and be accountable rather than just do whatever the hell we feel like
utterly blew his mind. It was a total shock to his system.

Clearly, at HQ they do things a little bit differently. ;-) I always
thought it was an exaggeration, but now I'm not so sure...

[Hint: If you go to QA and say "oh hai, i r deleted ur audit trails,
kthxbye" I can *actually guarantee* - as in, I can put money on it -
that QA will say, in no uncertain terms, "ME NO WANT!!1!". And what QA
doesn't approve, does not happen. Not without severe legal implicatiosn
anyway...]

OMG, I should stop reading lolcat!