11 Oct 2024 11:09:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 16 Nov 2007 07:59:18
Message: <473d9426$1@news.povray.org>

> There's a difference between an attitude like "I think this is a very
>  plausible theory, and I'm going to try to find even more evidence to
>  support it", and "this theory is the truth, and anyone who doubts it
>  is nuts and deserves ridicule".

And which one you think is more common among creationists?
What do you think happens when a tenant of the first attitude tries to
discuss the matter with a tenant of the second attitude? No discussion
is possible, that's what happens.

> I don't disagree that any pseudoscientist or religious fanatic who
> presents completely unscientifical and implausible claims with no
> proof nor evidence deserves to be ignored and if such claims get
> widespread, it very much deserves scientifical debunking.
>
> However, debunking and ridicule are two different things. The former
> shows scientifical thinking, the latter shows arrogance.

Debunking has been done and redone and re-re-done, at some stage it
needs to stop.

Problem is a vast portion of the population is not used to scientific
thinking. Many people are ready to follow the one who appears convinced
of holding the truth. The problem is that religious nutcases are far
more convincing at that than scientists. Ridiculing a religious nutcase

Tartuffe...

It's that or let a portion of the population follow a way of thinking
that has proved dangerous over and over in history. People who are going
to swallow the nonsense spread all over this museum are not going to be
convinced by scientific debunking. By ridicule there is a tiny chance
that they realize the problem, and then learn. Ultimately, education is
the answer, but there has to be an initial impulse, and it will not be
science.

I'm all for doubting a theory as long as something else, new experiments
or a new interpretation of the old ones at least, is offered that makes
some sense. Doubting for the sake of doubting is not really interesting,
because then you doubt, and then what? Does not make the established
theory any less true, and does not bring us closer to the Truth, in as
much as it exists...

--
Vincent