POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The nebulous question of probability : Re: The nebulous question of probability Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:21:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The nebulous question of probability
From: Invisible
Date: 15 Nov 2007 09:06:13
Message: <473c5255$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> However, one might also conjecture that the probability of any two
> arbitrary messages having the same [MD5] hash code would be 2^(-128).

Actually, according to the Birthday Paradox, the probability in this
case is much lower.

All I *really* want to know is the probability of a random alteration to
a file going undetected by an MD5 hash comparison. But this depends on
just how "random" MD5 really is. Apparently it's not something anybody
has looked at much. The existence of a collision algorithm seems to
suggest that it's not all that random, but I don't know...