POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bigger plans! : Re: Bigger plans! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:14:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bigger plans!
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 14 Nov 2007 11:34:44
Message: <473b23a4$1@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:
> No! 750KV AC is an average value, it have a crest value of about 1000KV,
> whitch is about the maximum you can reliably handle without having sheet
> arcs between transmission whires. As DC never goes down to zero, you
> transmit 100% of the time, not about 75% as in the case of AC.

Aaaa. I misread ("750kV AC", I read "750kV DC"), but still I probably
wouldn't have tought the right answer.

> Multi mega-wats lines over 400 to more than 800 miles long. You realy
> need to reduce that current...

True that. 750kV vs. 1Mv has remarkable difference.

> Another advantage: you need 1 less whire for the transmission. AC lines
> normaly have 3 whires, while DC lines only use 2.

OTOH, with 3 wires you can transfer 3 phases of AC - for one phase 2 is
enough (possibly even 1+ground is possible).

> Yes! it get's transformed back to AC at the converter stations, and
> reduced down to 750KV.

Yep. And there goes all the glitches that have been inducted to the DC
voltage, so at the end there's cleaner AC (nearer to sin).

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
   http://www.zbxt.net