POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bigger plans! : Re: Bigger plans! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:15:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bigger plans!
From: Alain
Date: 13 Nov 2007 19:19:22
Message: <473a3f0a@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/13 12:41:
> Alain wrote:
>> We have 750KV AC and 1000KV DC transmition lines all over the place.
>
> Damn, you people are way front of me and my knowledge.
>
>> Hydroquebec pioneered the 750KV lines with Churchill Falls and the Manic
>> complex. It's pioneering 1000000 DC transmition with the Bay James. Why
>> do you think that they invested several $1000000's a year for over 20
>> years on that technology?
>
> DC transmission? Possibly because DC is more tolerant to ripples, if it
> gets hacked back to AC after all.

No! 750KV AC is an average value, it have a crest value of about 1000KV, whitch
is about the maximum you can reliably handle without having sheet arcs between
transmission whires. As DC never goes down to zero, you transmit 100% of the
time, not about 75% as in the case of AC.
Multi mega-wats lines over 400 to more than 800 miles long. You realy need to
reduce that current...
Another advantage: you need 1 less whire for the transmission. AC lines normaly
have 3 whires, while DC lines only use 2.
Yes! it get's transformed back to AC at the converter stations, and reduced down
to 750KV.

I do know somebody that works at IREQ. (Institut de Recherches Électriques du
Québec)

--
Alain
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you can logically