POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : radiosity vs. double_illuminate : Re: radiosity vs. double_illuminate Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: radiosity vs. double_illuminate
From: Alain
Date: 13 Nov 2007 16:34:08
Message: <473a1850$1@news.povray.org>
Jan Dvorak nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/13 10:09:
> Alain napsal(a):
>> Jan Dvorak nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/13 00:25:

>>> As for MegaPOV 1.2.1 @ WinXP the front square doesn't get doubly
>>> illuminated by the green sphere. Can you post your configuration,
>>> please?
>> It's not double_illuminated by radiosity, and sould'nt be.
>>
> How come it shouldn't?
Radiosity ignore double_illuminate, it never use samples comming from behind the
surface.
You can fake it as follow:
default{finish{ambient 0}}
camera{location <3,4,5> look_at 0}
polygon{5,x,y,-x,-y,x pigment{rgb 1}double_illuminate translate  z no_shadow}
polygon{5,x,y,-x,-y,x pigment{rgb 1}double_illuminate translate -z no_shadow}
background{rgb z}
global_settings{radiosity{count 1000 error_bound 0.9}}
sphere{-y/2,0.5 texture{pigment{rgb y}finish{ambient 10 diffuse 0}}}
light_source{y/2,rgb x}
#declare Offset = 1.05;
polygon{5,x,y,-x,-y,x pigment{rgb 1}double_illuminate translate Offset*z
	finish{reflection 1} no_image no_shadow no_reflection}
polygon{5,x,y,-x,-y,x pigment{rgb 1}double_illuminate translate -Offset*z
	finish{reflection 1} no_image no_shadow no_reflection}

This is you original scene with the following changes:
Added no_shadow on the original polygons.
Added 2 reflective polygons just outside the original ones, with no_everything.
That way, they reflect but don't show, don't have shadow and don't reflect on
each other.
Increased count, less that 1000 and you get artefacts.
Had also to reduce error_bound.

--
Alain
Bend the facts to fit the conclusion. It's easier that way.