POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : GPU Rendering : Re: GPU Rendering Server Time
19 May 2024 20:21:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU Rendering
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 13 Nov 2007 04:21:41
Message: <47396ca5$1@news.povray.org>
> Also look at nVidia's Gelato, they use the 3D card to help with rendering,
> so it can't be all bad.  Maybe there is some technical paper somewhere
> about what Gelato does that would give some ideas for POV4?

Gelato uses undocumented proprietary GPU commands on the cards.
NVIDIA may (probably will) introduce new commands as hardware
improves, making their products better, while public standards will always
lag behind. It's just a matter of competition.

It would be nice if graphic card companies would agree on some
published standards for communicating data from the GPU.  I wouldn't
be surprised if such standards end up in some version of Direct X,
furthering Microsoft's corner of the gaming market.