POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to make a laser (not necessarily realistic) : Re: How to make a laser (not necessarily realistic) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:22:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to make a laser (not necessarily realistic)
From: Jan Dvorak
Date: 13 Nov 2007 00:23:03
Message: <473934b7$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez napsal(a):
> OK, to put it in few words. I need to simulate a laser. An object with
> high ambient and radiosity looks like a good solution, but I *really*
> want to avoid radiosity (hard to keep good quality on an animation,
> issues with tiled rendering, etc). I guess it should be possible with
> media; but note I'm a noob with media, so please explain slowly. The
> laser doesn't have to be realistic at all. It's game graphics;
> highly-exaggerated will do.
>
> Something like...
>
> http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9459/laser1lf4.png
> http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/8214/laser2qu2.png
>
> note the glowing :]
for the light_source use a cylinder light_source.
for the media:
- define a shape to contain the beam (it's faster and more accurate). A
thin cylinder will do
--use transmit 1 for that object
--make it hollow
--set media to its interior:
--scattering media
---density around 1e-3 (i'm not sure here)
---no absorption or emmision
---the syntax is scattering{type,color [extinction e]}
----type can be quite any but type 1 will do (isotropic filtering)
----keep color White
----if you want to use a weaker light_source set a higher density to the
media and add extinction 0 to the scattering block.
Also, remember to add a lens effect to the lase head :-)

EG: density of 1e-3, beam radius of 0.1 and light intensity (color) 1e+4
should give you a fully saturated beam when viewed perpendicularly.