POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's random thought : Re: Today's random thought Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:19:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's random thought
From: Alain
Date: 12 Nov 2007 22:20:05
Message: <473917e5$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/12 12:33:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> (We casually ignore for the moment the minor detail that a database
>> describing the known universe would obviously be very much larger than
>> the actual universe itself, and hence could not possibly exist inside it...)
>
> Asimov solved this long ago!
> http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html
>
> :)
>
>> Assuming that you could somehow examine several million million million
>> records per second (highly implausible), to find the atom you're looking
>> for would take... several tens of billions of times the current age of
>> the universe.
>
> BTW, what if when you finally reach the area the atom was at originally it
> already moved on to an area you had already inspected?  concurrency problems?
> :)

The data will, of course, include the precise speed and direction of every
atoms, along with it's mass, magnetic momentum and spin, and how it can interact
with other atoms and any photons. With that information, you can predict where
it will be at any time of your choosing within a Km radius.

--
Alain
Lutheran: If shit happens, don't talk about it.