POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's random thought : Re: Today's random thought Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's random thought
From: Alain
Date: 12 Nov 2007 22:15:35
Message: <473916d7@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/12 13:23:
> Warp wrote:
>> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>>> Alternatively, you could perform an index lookup.
>>
>>   It's enough for the values to be sorted. Then you can simply perform
>> a binary search. Assuming fast random access the search should take
>> much less than a second.
>
> Indeed. A binary index lookup and a binary search are equally efficient.
>
> However, inserting a record for a new atom becomes somewhat
> compute-intensive if we have to keep all the data in sorted order. (If
> it's a typical array-like structure, O(n) complexity again. For an
> index, it's just O(log n) - assuming any rebalancing you choose to do
> doesn't blow it up.)
>
> Of course, whether you have an unordered table and seperate index or
> whether the index *is* the table doesn't matter too much. (Depending on
> just how much data you store per atom...)
If you have a sorted list of serial numbers, the next item will have it's number
set as n+1, or 1 after the current last element.
In the case of a balanced tree structure, concidering a tree with about 10^80
elements, randomly adding a few billions elements is prety much insignifient.

--
Alain
At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry.