POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bigger plans! : Re: Bigger plans! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:45:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bigger plans!
From: Alain
Date: 12 Nov 2007 19:00:47
Message: <4738e92f$1@news.povray.org>
scott nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/12 09:18:
>> Never ceases to amaze me how thick 3-phase power cables appear, yet
>> cut one open, and the wires encased in the cable aren't *that* thick,
>> but there's a ton of "wadding" around the actual wires inside the
>> cable. Extra fun when attempting to unplug a 3-phase device for the
>> first time. I had no idea it had to twist-on.
>
> Yeh, we had this oven that was 3-phase, but only something like 23A.
> However, like you say, the cable was about 10x wider than a normal 13A
> mains cable, so cross-section 100x bigger.  I didn't see inside the
> cable, but I guess it was mostly shielding, armour and insulation...

Each individual live whire is isulated, then there is a metal mesh protection,
then an outer protective layer. Then, there is a ground (not isolated) and
possibly a neutral whire. The neutral is also isolated and protected by a metal
mesh. The whole thing is paded with ropes, encassed in an additional isolating
layer, then 1 to 5 metal mesh armouring, plus, possibly a metal sheet shelding,
all wrapt in an outer PVC or polypropylen outer shell.
It all adds up.

--
Alain
When the bosses talk about improving productivity, they are never talking about