POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : missing disk space on server, need help : Re: missing disk space on server, need help Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: missing disk space on server, need help
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 12 Nov 2007 13:58:37
Message: <4738a25d$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> M_a_r_c wrote:

>> le message de news: 473472c5$1@news.povray.org...

>>> Defrags free disk space??
>>
>> I am not an expert but maybe if it optimizes disk occupation by
>> filling blocks instead of letting empty portions of blocks.
>
> More precisely, if you have a fragmented file taking 3 blocks and
> filling them each only 10%, defragging that file will free two blocks.

More precisely, how would this situation arrise in the first place?

The allocation engine allocates a full block to a file, and does not
allocate any additional ones until the present ones are full.

As noted elsewhere, in this case it's likely that the defrag partially
corrected the freelists or something. (Remember, the filesystem was
corrupted.)