POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's random thought : Re: Today's random thought Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's random thought
From: andrel
Date: 12 Nov 2007 14:46:01
Message: <4738AE84.404@hotmail.com>
Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> I don't want to spoil your gedanken experiment, but in modern physics
>> you can not distinguish one (e.g.) hydrogen atom from another.
>
> You say this, but it's not actually true.  You cannot distinguish two
> hydrogen atoms as long as you ignore the stuff that lets you distinguish
> them.  Like, say, their positions.

no.

> Certainly the hydrogen atoms in my coffee are distinguishable from the
> hydrogen atoms emitting light eight minutes ago in the sun.

nope

> Basically, science has a list of "things it's safe to ignore when
> replicating an experiment."  Given that list, hydrogen atoms are
> indistinguishable. But there's still a list.
Sorry, no. It may sound counterintuitive but there isn't. A proton does
not have a position, but a peaked distribution in one place with a small
but finite change that it is somewhere else entirely. If you have two
protons, you have a distribution with two peaks with an amplitude large
enough for two protons. Nothing more and individuality is a meaningless
concept here. I am trying to find a macroscopic equivalent, but I can't,
yet.

> It's like saying "pennies are indistinguishable, from a spending point
> of view. I can replace one penny with any other penny."

There is a difference between the (sub)atomic and the macroscopic range.
In the latter common sense is just that, in the former not.

> Yet I'll still
> get arrested for putting all your pennies in my bank account.

No as long as we assume that you exchanged all your pennies with mine
simultaneously, I don't see why anyone would bother. ;)
Don't try this at home though, the number of pennies in this house will
probably not exceed 2, mainly because we use a different currency.