POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : GPU Rendering : Re: GPU Rendering Server Time
8 May 2024 20:27:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU Rendering
From: scott
Date: 12 Nov 2007 08:56:52
Message: <47385ba4$1@news.povray.org>
> Agreed. I suggest not adding GPU support until there are GPUs that can
> actually do that, but leave appropriate hooks and stubs on the code to
> easily add it whenever we're ready :)

Yep, exactly my thinking.  Not even considering GPU rendering when writing
POV4 would be a bit of a mistake IMO.  Just like if you started coding a big
project a year or two ago without any thinking of future support for
multi-core...

> For realtime previews, I think the best way is having the Object class
> (and all the concrete objects that extend it like Sphere) have a Tesselate
> method along with Trace_Ray and Point_Inside (well, whatever they're
> called; you get the idea).

Yes that sounds sensible, it's not actually very hard to tesselate the POV
primitives, even the isosurface is pretty straightforward when you use a
finite volumetric grid.  Of course for infinite objects you would need to
bound them, but seeing as in GPU rendering you need to specify a "far" plane
anyway, you would just clip your objects to that.

The materials shouldn't be too hard either, just the effort of porting the
pigment/finish code over to pixel shaders.

Lights and shadows should be easy enough.  Multi-level reflections would be
almost impossible, but first-level reflections should be doable for preview
quality.