POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : GPU Rendering : Re: GPU Rendering Server Time
8 May 2024 07:14:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU Rendering
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 12 Nov 2007 08:26:29
Message: <47385485@news.povray.org>

>> Would it be possible to use the GPU as well as the CPU to render?  This
>> could speed up render times so much and would allow a somewhat crappy
>> machine to generate some pretty spiffy results.
>
> Whilst I agree with what others have written here, it seems nobody has
> thought about the fact that by the time POV4 is released 3D cards will
> have progressed several generations.
>
> IMO we shouldn't totally rule out using the GPU to help with
> high-quality renderings just because of some limitation that might not
> even be there in 5 years time.  You only have to have a look at the
> feature-list of the different shader versions over the last 5 years to
> see the way it's going (btw loops are fine in both vertex and pixel
> shaders now, and there is no limit on the number of instructions like
> there used to be).
>
> Also look at nVidia's Gelato, they use the 3D card to help with
> rendering, so it can't be all bad.  Maybe there is some technical paper
> somewhere about what Gelato does that would give some ideas for POV4?

Agreed. I suggest not adding GPU support until there are GPUs that can
actually do that, but leave appropriate hooks and stubs on the code to
easily add it whenever we're ready :)

For realtime previews, I think the best way is having the Object class
(and all the concrete objects that extend it like Sphere) have a
Tesselate method along with Trace_Ray and Point_Inside (well, whatever
they're called; you get the idea).