POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : GPU Rendering : Re: GPU Rendering Server Time
8 May 2024 21:12:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU Rendering
From: scott
Date: 12 Nov 2007 07:22:00
Message: <47384568$1@news.povray.org>
> Would it be possible to use the GPU as well as the CPU to render?  This
> could speed up render times so much and would allow a somewhat crappy
> machine to generate some pretty spiffy results.

Whilst I agree with what others have written here, it seems nobody has
thought about the fact that by the time POV4 is released 3D cards will have
progressed several generations.

IMO we shouldn't totally rule out using the GPU to help with high-quality
renderings just because of some limitation that might not even be there in 5
years time.  You only have to have a look at the feature-list of the
different shader versions over the last 5 years to see the way it's going
(btw loops are fine in both vertex and pixel shaders now, and there is no
limit on the number of instructions like there used to be).

Also look at nVidia's Gelato, they use the 3D card to help with rendering,
so it can't be all bad.  Maybe there is some technical paper somewhere about
what Gelato does that would give some ideas for POV4?