POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Surprise! : Re: Surprise! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:47:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Surprise!
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 12 Nov 2007 04:52:18
Message: <47382252@news.povray.org>
news:47381d18$1@news.povray.org...

> Hey, I was being playful, not spiteful. ;-) (Just wanted to get that
> part straight...)

I didn't think you were been spiteful. Just struck me as a strange question.
But them a lot of people wonder anout some of the things I know. Wide
interestes

> > I actually saw Cherenkov radiation once. Was during a trip to a nuclear
> > research institute, as part of a prize for coming in the top 50 in the
> > country's science olympiad.
> > It's eery to see.
>
> o_O
>
> I thought the whole "glowing bars of radioactive stuff" was a myth...

It is, generally. The blue glow comes from electons emitted at very, very
high speeds passing into the surrounding water. If  the water hadn't been
there, there would have been no glow.

Some radioactive stuff does glow, most doesn't