POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game Engines : Re: Game Engines Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Game Engines
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Nov 2007 23:49:50
Message: <4737db6e$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Of course. Maybe I phrased the question wrong.

Or, to ask it yet another way, are there games which, by their very
nature, would be difficult to put in the same game engine?

Obviously, tetris and solitaire and minesweeper would be harder to code
in the id engine than just writing them by themselves, for example.

So how far apart can two games be and still be reasonably in the same
engine?  Could you put Thief and Halo in the same engine realistically?
Are there features of games that are incompatible with features of other
games?

Obviously not, or you couldn't play them on the same machine. But how
close to the metal do you have to get to merge them? How abstract and
powerful can your game engine be while still supporting everything
someone might want to do with a minimum of low-level on-the-metal code?

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we