POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game Engines : Re: Game Engines Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:13:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Game Engines
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Nov 2007 23:42:41
Message: <4737d9c1$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> I was wondering, will there ever be the Ultimate Game Engine
>
>   That's like asking if there will ever be the ultimate renderer.

Sure. Your eyeballs. :-)

>   Technology progresses and game engines must keep up.

Of course. Maybe I phrased the question wrong.

What do you think of a game engine possibly being feature-complete?
Obviously, when new hardware comes out with (say) better lighting and
shadows and such, the game engine would be upgraded to account for that.
But I don't think you'd necessarily need to upgrade the games to account
for that. And once the engine can render in realtime, something so
realistic you can't make it *look* noticably more realistic, the
incremental cost of building a better renderer might be not worth the
cost of doing so.

> It's a question of whether the
> authors of the game engine can keep up with technology.

That's kind of what I was considering investigating with the question.
I.e., not so much "when does development stop", but "what features are
lacking to make the perfect game engine?"  And I don't mean "engineering
trade-offs" due to commodity hardware being too restricted, but stuff
that just hasn't been written at all.  If you could combine
Black&White-style scaling with DOOM3-style lighting and still get the
performance, what would be left to solve rendering-wise?

For example, a while ago, one might say "sucky physics". This seems to
have been pretty well solved.  One might have said "difficult to write
online versions". This is obviously either solved or relatively simple
to solve, and getting simpler as one can count on more bandwidth.

Some hardware advances will make for some fairly incompatible changes.
Obviously, when new stuff like full-body VR suits come out, the game
engine will have to change drastically to take advantage of it.

Just as obviously, NPC AI isn't anywhere near what you'd call "the best
we can imagine doing".

What's left to solve?

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)