POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Additional entropy : Re: Additional entropy Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Additional entropy
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Nov 2007 18:32:52
Message: <47379124$1@news.povray.org>
Alain wrote:
> The first C compiler was writen and compiled in C.

I don't think so. I think C was the first compiler written in itself,
but I don't think the first C compiler was written in C.

I saw a language once where the compiler was bootstrapped[*] in assembly
(for a virtual machine), with annotations all through it about how great
and godlike the author was, and how one better not touch that bit lest
ye be smited, and such. (Not written by the author, but by those who
came after.)

[*] I.e., just enough to compile the minimum bits of the compiler
needed, then recompile with the result to get all the good optimizations
and such.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we