POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Surprise! : Re: Surprise! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:47:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Surprise!
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Nov 2007 18:19:35
Message: <47378e07$1@news.povray.org>

http://www.amazon.com/QED-Strange-Princeton-Science-Library/dp/0691125759/ref=pd_bbs_1

> Thanks, though I note one commentator said "The problem is that we never
> get an explanation for why the vectors point the way the do, are rotated
> just so, etc.

That's the wrong book for *that* question. You asked "can anyone explain
refraction in terms of particles". That's what the book answers.

That person is complaining that we don't know why the laws of physics
are the way they are. Well, yes. But I don't think you'll ever solve
that for the most current theories.

The book for that is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Character-Physical-Law-Modern-Library/dp/0679601279/ref=pd_bbs_10/105-9307687-6115653

I also recommend "six easy pieces" and "six not so easy pieces".

 > Without that it's simply voodoo, and nothing has been
> explained."

He gives you a handful of rules (simplified to ignore polarization) to
tell you how to figure out what's going to happen. This is stuff you
determine by making measurements. He doesn't explain why the universe
picked those rules, no.

never mind. Amazon UK stocks it, but I'll check out my local
> store first.

It's cool. Check out the two "six pieces" parts too.

The lectures on computation are from a very physical POV, fwiw. Stuff
like explaining the quantum tensors that would let you build a truly
quantum computer. I got very little out of it except for one or two
insights that aren't really very useful unless you're arguing about
turing machines or perfect randomness or some such.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we