POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Surprise! : Re: Surprise! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Surprise!
From: Alain
Date: 11 Nov 2007 13:54:16
Message: <47374fd8$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/10 17:17:
> Alain wrote:
>> Orchid XP v7 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/10 04:19:

>>> We have a machine at work that produces "20 mega-Ohm water".
>>>
>>> Of course, water reacts with *air* to absorb various ions. (For
>>> example, CO2 disolves in water to yield carbonic acid.)
>>>
>>> But seriously - computers work at 12V. The water's resistance would
>>> have to plummet to yield any meaningful current.
>>>
>>> I would imagine a far bigger problem is water's viscosity; I'd think
>>> fans wouldn't like that...
>> Main power is 5V for all the electronics. The 12V is for the fans and
>> drives motors.
>>
>> A good deal of the currents are counted in miliamps or less. In
>> particular, the data transmition use very low curents at 5V. A leak of
>> less than a 1 miliamp can easily cause malfunctions. And then, those
>> 12V going to various motors can push or pull some curents into the
>> data and address paths...
>
> My point was more that at a mere 12V, the resistance has to drop *very*
> low indeed for any noticable current to happen. (Ohm's law, and all
> that...)
Not that much. When the distance is short and the surface relatively large, even
10K ohm can let pass to much durrent.
On a typical computer mother board, there are 1000's of places where the
distances are less than 0.5mm, with neigoing surfaces in the 2~3 mm square
range. Have some 200 MHz signal passing there and you can easily get currents in
the 0.1 miliamp range, and a parasitic current of about 0.01 miliamp is
sometimes enough to cause malfunctions.
So, no, you don't have to have a big drop in resistivity at all.
The 20 Mohm water quickly drop to the 100Kohm range. And that's for a 1cm cube
of water. A 1 cm travel trough a 1 cm square section. In a case where it's 0.5mm
with a section of 2 mm square, you divide the resistance by 4! Add some
contaminant buildup to the mixture, whose concentration is the greatest near
those conductors, and you easily get a HUGE resistivity drop.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you stop using a protractor to