POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lost my su : Lost my su Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:11:52 EDT (-0400)
  Lost my su
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 11 Nov 2007 08:27:58
Message: <4737035e@news.povray.org>
On two different linux boxes (kubuntu  fawn and Knoppix 5.01),  I have lost
my ability to do "su".  It is rejecting the password.  Now I'm sure I have
not forgotten the root password, as it was very memorable, and I can still
log in with the "regular user" password, and it rejects this main user
password.   I'm at a loss to explain or fix.

1) Linux, if you don't use su for a year, locks it up until you use command
2) I really did forget my root password.  (Yikes, must I re-install??)

3) I caught a virus.

None of these options make sense.

(I'm asking here because one local linux forum accuses one of spreading FUD
if you ask difficult questions).